GMail
Anthony R. Gold
2022-03-04 13:49:15 UTC
I collect my email from GMail using POP3 and with the setting on my GMail
account to permit "less secure access". I understand this access will become
unavailable on 30 May. What version(s) of Agent will work with GMail and
their newer authorization requirements?
Ralph Fox
2022-03-04 18:49:51 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I collect my email from GMail using POP3 and with the setting on my GMail
account to permit "less secure access". I understand this access will become
unavailable on 30 May. What version(s) of Agent will work with GMail and
their newer authorization requirements?
Almost any version of Agent can use an "App Password".

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255#zippy=%2Cuse-an-app-password>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google
will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices
which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your
username and password.
Fix problems
Can’t use an app with my Google Account
* ...
* ...
* Use an App Password
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my experience you need to turn on two factor authentication before
you can create an app password. You can turn off two factor
authentication after creating the app password, and the app password
will still work.

I have been using an app password in Agent with Google's "less secure
access" turned off, for years.
--
Kind regards
Ralph

ζητεῖτε καὶ εὑρήσετε
Anthony R. Gold
2022-03-04 19:24:45 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Many thanks, I will give that a try.

Off-thread question, but does anyone know whether Agent's maintenance and/or
development have been ceased/abandoned? I see the Forté web site remains but
nothing has been fixed (e.g. open first attachment in composition window) or
newly added within the past 8 years.
Arthur T.
2022-03-05 00:12:51 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Off-thread question, but does anyone know whether Agent's maintenance and/or
development have been ceased/abandoned? I see the Forté web site remains but
nothing has been fixed (e.g. open first attachment in composition window) or
newly added within the past 8 years.
I don't believe they've made it official, but many of us think it is
so.

Some people have been told by Agent Support to try this newsgroup to
find answers to their problems. I consider that evidence. That goes
back at least to 2018.
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com
Joe Gwinn
2022-03-05 18:53:28 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Off-thread question, but does anyone know whether Agent's maintenance and/or
development have been ceased/abandoned? I see the Forté web site remains but
nothing has been fixed (e.g. open first attachment in composition window) or
newly added within the past 8 years.
I don't believe they've made it official, but many of us think it is
so.
Some people have been told by Agent Support to try this newsgroup to
find answers to their problems. I consider that evidence. That goes
back at least to 2018.
When I got Agent in December 2019, they did make it clear that Agent
was no longer under development, and vectored me to this newsgroup for
support.

Joe Gwinn
Arthur Conan Doyle
2022-03-05 14:49:28 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Off-thread question, but does anyone know whether Agent's maintenance and/or
development have been ceased/abandoned? I see the Forté web site remains but
nothing has been fixed (e.g. open first attachment in composition window) or
newly added within the past 8 years.
The number of people who know what Usenet is, much less be using it can be
counted on one hand these days making the economics of maintenance impossible.

It has been suggested the the code be open-sourced, but someone reported that
Agent uses third party libraries that retain their copywrite protection.
Attempting to replace those would be difficult.

Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.
Arthur Conan Doyle
2022-03-06 19:25:59 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
It has been suggested the the code be open-sourced, but someone reported that
Agent uses third party libraries that retain their copywrite protection.
Attempting to replace those would be difficult.
And of course I meant copyright...

Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.
Optimist
2022-03-05 09:32:02 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Google's guidance contains this gem:

Tip: Don’t create an App Password unless the app or device you want to connect to your account
doesn’t have “Sign in with Google.”

Clear as mud!

Anyway, I have set up a workaround in anticipation of this "enhancement".

1. Forward all incoming emails from my gmail account to my ISP supplied account.

2. Use my ISP email accounts instead of gmail in Forte Agent.

3. Enter the gmail address in the "reply-to" in outgoing emails.
Ralph Fox
2022-03-06 08:39:32 UTC
Post by Optimist
Tip: Don’t create an App Password unless the app or device you want to connect to your account
doesn’t have “Sign in with Google.”
Clear as mud!
For email programs, that should read, ‘unless the app doesn’t have
login authentication method “OAuth2”’.

* Thunderbird has login authentication method “OAuth2”:
screen-shot: <Loading Image...>

* Agent does not:
screen-shot: <Loading Image...>

The author of that tip may never have used a real email program.
Sadly, he or she isn't communicating to this target audience.
The author knows web-based services which offer “Sign in with Google”,
“Sign in with Apple”, “Sign in with Facebook”, “Sign in with Twitter”,
etc.
--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
Optimist
2022-03-06 14:20:55 UTC
screen-shot: <https://i.imgur.com/dPUg7N3.png>
screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_5ea62htb.png>
The author of that tip may never have used a real email program.
Sadly, he or she isn't communicating to this target audience.
The author knows web-based services which offer “Sign in with Google”,
“Sign in with Apple”, “Sign in with Facebook”, “Sign in with Twitter”,
etc.
Thank you for your correction, Ralph. The reason for my "clear as mud" remark was the confusing use
of the triple negative - "don't", "unless", "doesn't". Better to say "Only create an App Password
if... and... ".
Anthony R. Gold
2022-04-29 16:58:39 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
I finally fould time to try this and I am struggling.

1) I turn off Less secure app access
2) I turn on two step verification
3) I generate a 16 digit app password
3) I can now pull mail with those new settings.

The problem is that if I then turn off two step verification the mail client
fails. And the suggested DisplayUnlockCaptcha page does not help.

Any ideas?

As two step verification is new to me I don't yet know the practical
implications of having to live with that setting.
KenW
2022-04-29 17:24:16 UTC
On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:58:39 -0400, "Anthony R. Gold"
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Many banks and more and more others are using 2FA. I have most send me
an email code which I enter the answer question. Others use your phone
number (voice or cell) to send a code and others can't make up their
mind.

KenW
Joe Gwinn
2022-04-29 20:02:00 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Beware. This is not true two-factor authentication in that if your
computer or cellphone is corrupted, a hacker will have both factors in
hand, and can go to town.

If both phone and computer are needed, these being physically distinct
devices, then the hacker has a very much harder problem, probably hard
enough to make the attack unprofitable.

If the second factor is something like a RSA SecureID fob, the problem
becomes so difficult that only an intelligence agency has a prayer.
But this has happened, when someone penetrated RSA itself. It will
not have been some random hacker in a basement for sure.

Joe Gwinn
Anthony R. Gold
2022-04-29 18:03:39 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I finally fould time to try this and I am struggling.
1) I turn off Less secure app access
2) I turn on two step verification
3) I generate a 16 digit app password
3) I can now pull mail with those new settings.
The problem is that if I then turn off two step verification the mail client
fails. And the suggested DisplayUnlockCaptcha page does not help.
Any ideas?
As two step verification is new to me I don't yet know the practical
implications of having to live with that setting.
Apparently the created app password(s) that had been displayed at
https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords are no longer shown there and so I
presume they are deleted/revoked upon switching two step verification off.
KenW
2022-04-29 18:09:52 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I finally fould time to try this and I am struggling.
1) I turn off Less secure app access
2) I turn on two step verification
3) I generate a 16 digit app password
3) I can now pull mail with those new settings.
The problem is that if I then turn off two step verification the mail client
fails. And the suggested DisplayUnlockCaptcha page does not help.
Any ideas?
As two step verification is new to me I don't yet know the practical
implications of having to live with that setting.
Apparently the created app password(s) that had been displayed at
https://myaccount.google.com/apppasswords are no longer shown there and so I
presume they are deleted/revoked upon switching two step verification off.
I switched to using the web to read the mail. Gmail is not my main
email. I have a private company which I use Agent on.

KenW
Ralph Fox
2022-04-29 20:34:21 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Since I posted that, I have read that things have changed since I last
created an app password. Apparently you now have to leave 2 factor
authentication turned on for your new app password to keep working.

My old app password still worked without 2SV when I posted the above.
(I don't yet know whether turning 2SV on and off again will stop it ]
working.)
Post by Anthony R. Gold
As two step verification is new to me I don't yet know the practical
implications of having to live with that setting.
It will not affect Agent fetching mail from Gmail.

With 2SV turned on, when I log into Google or Gmail on the web I get
a pop-up on my Android phone asking to confirm that it is me. The
login does not complete until I acknowledge the pop-up on my Android
phone.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Anthony R. Gold
2022-04-29 21:24:46 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
[...]
Many thanks for confirming that.
Post by Ralph Fox
My old app password still worked without 2SV when I posted the above.
(I don't yet know whether turning 2SV on and off again will stop it ]
working.)
For me, turning off 2SV results in the deletion of all the app passwords.
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Anthony R. Gold
As two step verification is new to me I don't yet know the practical
implications of having to live with that setting.
It will not affect Agent fetching mail from Gmail.
With 2SV turned on, when I log into Google or Gmail on the web I get
a pop-up on my Android phone asking to confirm that it is me. The
login does not complete until I acknowledge the pop-up on my Android
phone.
It seems we can reduce/prevent that with "remember this device", so it will
only nag if and when using a new device.

Thanks again for all.
KenW
KenW
Martin
2022-03-05 11:49:02 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I collect my email from GMail using POP3 and with the setting on my GMail
account to permit "less secure access". I understand this access will become
unavailable on 30 May. What version(s) of Agent will work with GMail and
their newer authorization requirements?
KenW
It's a password that Gmail creates for an app. In this case the app is Agent.
If you follow Google's instructions it all becomes clear and is almost painless.
Martin in Zuid Holland
KenW

KenW
Nil
2022-03-09 14:07:56 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I collect my email from GMail using POP3 and with the setting on my GMail
account to permit "less secure access". I understand this access will become
unavailable on 30 May. What version(s) of Agent will work with GMail and
their newer authorization requirements?
Google says you can use the App Password option but that REQUIRES 2FA at
least once. Better to use OAUTH2 with Forte Free Agent and all mail clients.
Ralph Fox
2022-03-11 18:32:56 UTC
Better to use OAUTH2 with Forte Free Agent
   *** TROLL ALERT ***   *** TROLL ALERT ***   *** TROLL ALERT ***

For anyone else reading, there is no OAUTH2 support in Agent.

Compare

 *  Thunderbird has login authentication method “OAuth2”:
        screen-shot:  <https://i.imgur.com/dPUg7N3.png>

 *  Agent does not:
        screen-shot:  <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=25_5ea62htb.png>
Optimist

Many thanks for your instructions to set up an "App Password". It has worked a treat!
Ralph Fox
2022-03-12 21:16:37 UTC
Post by Optimist
Many thanks for your instructions to set up an "App Password". It has worked a treat!
FYI twice (only) in the last 6 years my "App Password" has stopped being accepted.
The fix both times was go to <https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha>
and follow the instructions there.

I found that link on the Gmail help page
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229#zippy=%2Ci-cant-sign-in-to-my-email-client>
under "I can't sign in to my email client".
--
Kind regards
Ralph

Betere byþ oft feðre þonne oferfeðre.
Optimist
2022-03-12 22:45:32 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by Optimist
Many thanks for your instructions to set up an "App Password". It has worked a treat!
FYI twice (only) in the last 6 years my "App Password" has stopped being accepted.
The fix both times was go to <https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha>
and follow the instructions there.
I found that link on the Gmail help page
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229#zippy=%2Ci-cant-sign-in-to-my-email-client>
under "I can't sign in to my email client".
Many thanks again, Ralph, noted in case of need!

Regards

Optimist
h***@hope.com
2022-03-14 20:43:12 UTC
hi all
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account

Thanks

Dumb blond
KenW
2022-03-14 21:25:46 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
hi all
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account
Thanks
Dumb blond
Tools > Servers & Accounts

KenW
Dennis Lee Bieber
2022-03-15 00:59:24 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
hi all
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account
Thanks
Dumb blond
Tools > Servers & Accounts
Of course, that provides an input field for setting the password... It
will not display an existing password.

The longer answer would be that saved passwords are (for Agent 8, and
likely a few versions prior) stored in the XML portion of the Agent.INI
file. Stored in a hex-string that may contain some sort of "encryption" --
as the one I looked at had bytes that did not map to pure ASCII, which my
password contains.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
h***@hope.com
2022-03-15 09:31:29 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
hi all
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account
Thanks
Dumb blond
Tools > Servers & Accounts
Of course, that provides an input field for setting the password... It
will not display an existing password.
Yes you are correct I did know that, I think the other poster was getting confused to what I wanted
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
The longer answer would be that saved passwords are (for Agent 8, and
likely a few versions prior) stored in the XML portion of the Agent.INI
file. Stored in a hex-string that may contain some sort of "encryption" --
as the one I looked at had bytes that did not map to pure ASCII, which my
password contains.
I looked in the Agent.INI file BUT could not see any ref to XML at all.

The problem that I have my brother who lives 300 miles from me has had virus attack on his computer
and cannot use Agent BUT I can remote access it and get to the folders etc of Forte Agent
I can download the folders where agent is stored from his computer and install on mine then I can
get the pass word

BUT all depends how big they are so that is why I'm asking where the password is stored.
IF it is in the Agent.ini file could I just download that and then do a new install on mine that
why I could get the password from the input field for setting the password, I know about it is not
shown but no problem to show it.

Many thanks for your help

Dumb blond
KenW
2022-03-15 12:31:39 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
There are programs around that wii show what is behind the **** in the
password setting. I have used them in the past before I got "smart"
and wrote it down.

KenW
h***@hope.com
2022-03-15 13:01:35 UTC
Post by KenW
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
Hi Ken

Yes I know all of that BUT if you look above he is 300 miles away and cannot access Forta Agent so
that is why I want to remote connection to him to download the agent ini files and data so I can
install them on my computer then I can get at the password box, then decode the stars

Do you under stand now?

Dumb Blond
Dennis Lee Bieber
2022-03-15 13:40:16 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Yes I know all of that BUT if you look above he is 300 miles away and cannot access Forta Agent so
Presuming the /data/ has not been corrupted, it would seem that running
a good virus checker and reinstalling Agent would be all that is required
to get a working Agent (unless he also put the data files in some
undesirable location which then requires creating custom startup
shortcuts).

If the INI file has been corrupted, nothing holds...

On my Agent, the bottom of agent.ini has things like (there are blocks
for POP3 and IMAP also). This is a left-over server, when I moved to my
current address Earthlink DSL was no longer an option (well, it was, as a
resold ATT u-Verse internet -- but as I had to get land-line phone, which
is really VOIP on u-Verse, AND DirectTV service, might as well just get the
ATT bundle... I'm paying Earthlink ~$8 month to keep my email accounts
active, but no longer have access to their news server [subcontracted
Giganews] nor static web page server)

<NewsServers>
<Server>
<Uid>1</Uid>
<Name>east.earthlink</Name>
<Host>news.east.earthlink.net</Host>
<UseSsl>false</UseSsl>
<UseCustomPort>false</UseCustomPort>
<Port>119</Port>
<LoginProtocol>1</LoginProtocol>
<Username>***@ix.netcom.com</Username>
<SavePassword>true</SavePassword>

<Password>OBSCUREDHEXSTRING</Password>

<MaxChannels>2</MaxChannels>
<PriorityChannels>1</PriorityChannels>
<RecordGaps>false</RecordGaps>
<ListgroupBusted>true</ListgroupBusted>
<XHdrOnly>false</XHdrOnly>
<BinSearch>true</BinSearch>
<CompressedHeaders>true</CompressedHeaders>
<XHdrForCompressed>true</XHdrForCompressed>
<AutoDisconnect>true</AutoDisconnect>
<IdleTimeout>300</IdleTimeout>
<SendKeepAliveMsgs>false</SendKeepAliveMsgs>
<KeepAlivePeriod>60</KeepAlivePeriod>
<Enabled>false</Enabled>
<New>false</New>
<AutoAdjustMaxChannels>false</AutoAdjustMaxChannels>
<LastRetrievalDate>16.August.2015 16:15:10 hrs</LastRetrievalDate>
<GetBodiesByMsgId>true</GetBodiesByMsgId>
</Server>
KenW
2022-03-15 13:58:45 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Do you under stand now?
YES

KenW
Ralph Fox
2022-03-15 17:53:53 UTC
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by h***@hope.com
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account
I looked in the Agent.INI file BUT could not see any ref to XML at all.
If you want to start a new topic "server info", please use "New Usenet Post".
Please do not use "Reply" and then change the subject (like you did).

The XML part of Agent 8's .INI file begins at "<AddressBook>" and ends at
the last line of the .INI file.

The *inbound* email server account password (for *receiving* email) is in the
part which looks like this, on the line between "<Password>" and "</Password>".
The password is encrypted.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ὁ βίος βραχύς, ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή
𝐕𝐢𝐭𝐚 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐬, 𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐚
𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑦𝑓 𝑠𝑜 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑟𝑎𝑓𝑡 𝑠𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑒𝑟𝑛𝑒
h***@hope.com
2022-03-15 21:25:46 UTC
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by h***@hope.com
Post by h***@hope.com
where is the server account password stored to log in to my email account
I looked in the Agent.INI file BUT could not see any ref to XML at all.
If you want to start a new topic "server info", please use "New Usenet Post".
Please do not use "Reply" and then change the subject (like you did).
The XML part of Agent 8's .INI file begins at "<AddressBook>" and ends at
the last line of the .INI file.
The *inbound* email server account password (for *receiving* email) is in the
part which looks like this, on the line between "<Password>" and "</Password>".
The password is encrypted.
|<PopServers>
| <Server>
| <Uid>1</Uid>
| <Name>hope.example</Name>
| <Host>pop.hope.example</Host>
| <UseSsl>true</UseSsl>
| <LoginProtocol>0</LoginProtocol>
| <SavePassword>true</SavePassword>
| <Password>BA422D9859442C2A842B510BB0E686AE</Password>
If you want to start a new topic "server info", please use "New Usenet Post".
Please do not use "Reply" and then change the subject (like you did).
So sorry about that Ralph, what do you expect from a Dumb Blond

Any way thank you once again for your very detailed info

I have done it and all works fine again for him

Just to let you all no how

Remote connection to him and went to the data folder where the ini file was

I down loaded it to my server

I then down loaded a 30 day trial of agent and installed BUT NOT RAN IT

I then went to the data folder and renamed the Agent .ini file then copied the Agent.ini from his
computer to the data folder

Then ran agent and it put ALL the info in as well as all the folders and email downloads

All I did then was to read the dots in the password box and Then a got the password for him

Then set up a NEW Account on his computer and did the same
All WORKS GREAT

Thank to all who help with this

Dumb Blond
======================
n***@here.invalid
2022-05-05 04:54:57 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I collect my email from GMail using POP3 and with the setting on my GMail
account to permit "less secure access". I understand this access will become
unavailable on 30 May. What version(s) of Agent will work with GMail and
their newer authorization requirements?
Google says you can use the App Password option but that REQUIRES 2FA at
least once. Better to use OAUTH2 with Forte Free Agent and all mail clients.
Would it be at all possible for someone to setout concisely what needs to be done to keep Forte
Agent working with Gmail accounts after the 30th May 2022?

I am at a total loss on this.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Ralph Fox
2022-05-05 06:31:27 UTC
Post by n***@here.invalid
Would it be at all possible for someone to setout concisely what needs to be done to keep Forte
Agent working with Gmail accounts after the 30th May 2022?
The concise answer is: Replace your main Google/Gmail account password
in Agent with an "App Password" from Google.

screen-shot: <Loading Image...>

To get an "App Password" from Google you must sign in to your Google
account on the web, and you must also enable 2-step verification.

REF: See the sub-heading "Use an App Password" here:
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255#zippy=%2Cuse-an-app-password>

REF: See "Sign in with App Passwords"
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833>
--
Kind regards
Ralph

Ne sceal man to ær forht ne to ær fægen. -- Durham Proverbs #23.